Guest of the Month:♥ Eleanorrot ♥

I have found for you a new Dawanda shop, here is a little interview:

1-Introduce yourself

My name is Nora Oertel, I am a 26 year-old MA-student of social sciences and am running my small label 'Eleanor Rot' since 2008. Eleanor Rot is an anagram of my name and I have been using this name since years for my artistic endeavors, which I have always been pursuing besides my academic course.

Last year I decided to make it the official label for my fashion and accessories, which I started selling first on Dawanda, later Etsy and meanwhile you can find my creations in various shops in Berlin, Hamburg, Barcelona and Porto.

Recently, I moved from Berlin to Porto, for the best of all reasons: LOVE!!! So now I am living in this beautiful city and am getting inspired by it. My Spring/Summer Collection of 2009 will be reflecting these changes, as I try to create a mix between the Berlin-bohemian-style and elements of the Portuguese.

In everything I do, I try to incorportate elements of recycling or environmentally-friendly ideas. Also, I like to cooperate with small taylor-shops in my neighborhood to step out of my own little world and have others profit from what I do.


2. What is your craft?
How did you learn it?

I mainly sew, since I am doing clothes, but often this goes hand-in-hand with other

crafting-techniques, as folding, braiding, etc.

I learned sewing at school, where we had classes related to all sorts of textile crafts. It was a supplementing class to the regular arts lessons. Also my mother used to sew, so I learned quite a bit through her and I guess the most important thing she told me was, that making things yourse

lf, instead of buying them, gives great pleasure as you can realize your imagination. And I think I inherited the genuine creativity from my father who has always been doing crafting-projects with his kids.

Later then I attended another evening sewing-course and continuously picked up tricks and techniques through copying patterns and lately through the internet.


3-How long have you done your craft?

I have always been sewing, as far as I remember. As a college-student I made my own carnival-costumes, and since I was a small hippie, I loved to alternate my clothes in the most colorful and adventurous ways. While at university, making my own clothes was always a good way to save money. And when the online-crafting communities started to develop over the last years, it was a great opportunity for me to not only save, but also make money!


4-What is one advice you'd give to new Dawanda members?

I find one of the most important things for getting a good start is to have good pictures! Make your shop and products look beautiful!!!! Besides this 'superficial' aspect, I think a good concept that gives coherence to the products you offer is crucial. Come up with creative ideas, try to recycle, be environmentally friendly, be honest and original!

Also, a successful shop needs continuous care. Try to list new items weekly, so you are always on the top pages. Finally, I advise you to use the opportunity to connect to other members on Dawanda. Through this platform you have amazing possibilities to learn from others and to promote yourself!


Visit Her Dawanda Shop: http://de.dawanda.com/shop/eleanorot
and Her Blog !!

If you want to be featured in this blog, email to sumikoshop@gmail.com
with the subject "Guest of the Month"
I am looking for vendors:
Dawanda, Etsy and Lollishops ...



1 comments:

Sabiamente said...

THANKS FOR THE FEATURE!!! I LOVE IT!!!!